What is the title of this course? - Geography, Evolving Planet.
Examination Board: Edexcel Syllabus B.
What level of qualification will I gain at the end of the course? GCSE A*-G.
What are the main topics I will be taught?
Learners are taught about:
Unit 1: Dynamic Planet.
- Topics include Restless Earth, Climate and Change, Battle for the Biosphere, Water World, Coastal Change and Conflict and Extreme Climates.
Unit 2: People and the Planet.
- Topics include Population Dynamics, Consuming Resources, Living Spaces, Making a Living, Changing Cities and World at Work.
Unit 3: Making Geographical Decisions.
Unit 4: Researching Geography.
What type of learning activities will I undertake?
You will experience a wide and varied range of learning opportunities. Learners will undertake independent research, decision making exercises and develop their map work skills, this is supported by a brand new syllabus and text books.
You will also be expected to attend a fieldtrip in order to carry out a piece of coursework
How will I be assessed?
- Units 1 and 2 are assed by a resource based exam. This course is tiered a learners can take either Foundation or Higher Papers.
- Unit 3 is a decision-making exercise based on pre released resources.
- Unit 4 is a course work unit.
Each unit is worth 25% of the final GCSE marks.
Units 1 and 3 will be sat at the end of year 10. Units 2 and 4 will be sat at the end of year 11.
What are the possible progression routes once I have this qualification?
With a grade C and above you will be able to extend your studies to AS and A2 Geography, all employers and universities value the broad range of skills provided by Geography. GCSE Geography provides excellent preparation for careers in planning, resource and countryside management, tourism and recreation, environmental management and development, and journalism.